July 2, 1864

William King Diary Entry

Cobb County, Georgia


2d. July, 1864. Saturday afternoon.

During the day general apprehension existed of the falling back of Johnson’s Army, occasioning great anxiety–the wagons were moving toward the rear, about an hour before sunset, the artillery were moving–being confident this day was my last date to write Home, I wrote to my wife & sent the letter by Maj. Gen. Martin (who had been spending some days with me sick) to place in the Atlanta P. O.–all my company sick and well left me during the afternoon, and I with depressed spirits partook of my lonely supper, all alone and knowing in a few hours I was to be shut off from intercourse with my family and left among strangers. We continued routine preparations to get the last of the wagons and horses and servants in readiness to leave. About 8 o’clock a Captain Lee of our army stopped at the house and asked for me. He kindly stated in passing by with the artillery, he noticing the house open and everything seemed quiet with the servants about, he felt apprehensive that I was not aware of the fact that the Army was falling back that night, not knowing the painful anxiety that engrossed my mind from that knowledge; I thanked him for his kindness, and informed him that I was aware of it, and intended to remain at home. At 10 o’clock Rev. Mr. Porter and some other friends stopped to see me, taking a cup of tea and remaining about an hour with me during which time I wrote my last letter to my wife, and at 11 o’clock the wagons with Crawford, Josh and Tom passed and Tom left me for Atlanta in charge of Mr. Porter. I then retired to bed but not to sleep, sleeping but two hours during the night with my¬†depressed spirits and the constant noise but little sleep could be enjoyed, Hardee’s Corps passing through the yard committing many depredations and pretty much destroying all the Poultry.

From Southern Historical Collection РUNC Chapel http://docsouth.unc.edu/imls/kingwilliam/king.html