November 16, 1864

Cornelius Platter Diary Entry
(Union Soldier)

Wednesday Nov 16th 1864 

Ordered to march at 6 1/2 oclock but did not get “underway” untill [until] an hour later — Before we started. detailed Lt. [Lieutenant] Post & Co [Company] ”D” as guards to ordinance trains[illegible] Recd [Received] the resignations of Capt [Captain] [illegible] Lt. [Lieutenant] Robinson and Dr Whittaker but as communication is destroyed am unable to send them to Nashville where they are. Our Brigade had the rear of the Division and we found it very hard marching as we had to march in two ranks on each side the wagon train and the road was very narrow. The country through which we passed was very poor – Nothing but oak woods with thick underbrush. We passed through Rough & Ready – We left Jonesboro 3 mile to our right and went into camp 8 mile South East of Jonesboro at 8 oclock — This has been the hardest days march we have had. Distance marched 22 mile. To – day [Today] we heard the first cannonading of the campaign – I suppose it was our cavalry skirmishing with the enemy.


From Cornelius Platter Collection housed at the University of Georgia’s Hargrett Library Special Collections


Dolly Sumner Lunt
A Georgia Woman’s Wartime Journal

NOVEMBER 16, 1864.

As I could not obtain in Covington what I went for in the way of dye stuffs, etc., I concluded this morning, in accordance with Mrs. Ward’s wish, to go to the Circle. We took Old Dutch and had a pleasant ride as it was a delightful day, but how dreary looks the town! Where formerly all was bustle and business, now naked chimneys and bare walls, for the depot and surroundings were all burned by last summer’s raiders. Engaged to sell some bacon and potatoes. Obtained my dye stuffs. Paid seven dollars [Confederate money] a pound for coffee, six dollars an ounce for indigo, twenty dollars for a quire of paper, five dollars for ten cents’ worth of flax thread, six dollars for pins, and forty dollars for a bunch of factory thread.

On our way home we met Brother Evans accompanied by John Hinton, who inquired if we had heard that the Yankees were coming. He said that a large force was at Stockbridge, that the Home Guard was called out, and that it was reported that the Yankees were on their way to Savannah. We rode home chatting about it and finally settled it in our minds that it could not be so. Probably a foraging party.

Just before night I walked up to Joe Perry’s to know if they had heard anything of the report. He was just starting off to join the company [the Home Guard], being one of them.

From Documenting the American South – UNC Chapel Hill